Sunday, October 16, 2005

YES... I Know I'm A Freak...


I have to admit that I DO have a strange phobia... I'm deathly afraid of taxidermy. Don't know why. Never did understand it. This pic was taken by my wife as I clung for dear life to her shoulder...

Am I afraid of death? Not really, but those dickheads who like to kill things and then stuff them and THEN put them in their living room is a bit disturbing to me. Show me dead people all day long and it doesn't bother me... something about this being an art form pushes me over the edge, I suppose.

I'm trying to use this photo as a way to desensitize myself because you can't swing your arms in this country without hitting a castle and said castle ALWAYS has some taxidermy on display inside. It's bound to give me a coronary someday.

2 Comments:

Blogger gnightgirl said...

My father was into some Mountain Man re-enactment group, in which he'd live in a tee-pee and do black-powder demonstrations for the general public. In the interim, he collected a lot of .... junk.

He gifted my son, who was about 10 at the time, with a stuffed racoon holding a bottle of tequila (with the worm still in it). The disgusting thing is still in my garage, scaring the bejeezus out of me every time I go to look for a hammer or something.

9:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm shit scared of this kind of thing, too.. You're not the only one, man!

I used to hate having to visit my uncle, because his family had this huge bear skin lying on the floor... It had a head and paws and all! Granted, it wasn't stuffed, but it still scared the living daylights out of me, because I thought it would suddenly inflate, stand up on its hind legs and chew my head off. Like a..big, evil... zombie bear.

My mom's boyfriend has these taxidermied animals standing in his basement... It's a badger and an otter. And the fact that I'm terrified of badgers, too, and that that the otter looks like he's just punched a baby, only serves to intensify my already abnormal fear of them. I have to be at least a meter away from them, or I just can't function AT ALL. I once forgot that they were there, and when I turned around and saw them I totally freaked out! And what's more, they're right in front of the book shelves, so I can't get to the books I want to read... And I can't tell my mom or her boyfriend to move them - because if they find out, they'll probably place those fucking nasty things by my bedside while I'm asleep, so that I'll wake up staring into the face of a pissed off, un-dead otter O_O

For some reason, I have no problem with taxidermied BIRDS, though... It's weird, but I'm thinking it's maybe because I'm scared by the whole 'living dead' aspect of it, and birds look dead all the time anyway (they DO, admit it), so it's not that big of a problem as it is with animals.

7:48 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home