Monday, May 22, 2006

We're All Going on a Roman Holiday



Some updates:

We finally sold our Blazer which has been sitting in a used car lot in Lynden, Washington for the last year or so. We found out we sold it about 2 weeks ago but I haven’t said anything because I was waiting for the check to clear. What happens now regarding the Title, who bought it, etc., whatever…

I

Don’t

Care

The loan is gone and I no longer have to shovel good money toward something I can’t use. (Oh, but it is a sweet machine. No, really!)



I mentioned last week that my wife and I were ‘House Hunting’. Unfortunately, like novices, we stupidly announced to the people selling the house that we were interested in buying it. This triggered a chain of events so disastrous that we were left staring in wide-eyed wonderment at how a house can go on sale at £89,000 and suddenly spiral into the region of £120,000 (that’s about $200,000 Yankee dollars for an 800 sq. ft. house).

Next time I’m going to treat it like a true manly sporting event and sneak up on the house in the dead of night and shot-gun it with £100 notes until it drops bleeding to the ground. After we skin, gut and mount it we’ll hopefully have a place to live where it won’t matter so much if I wipe the odd booger underneath the couch. Because it’ll be my couch (and I just realized I have scared off any friends who might have offered to help me move furniture…).

And finally…

Since we sold the Blazer and buying a house seems like a near impossibility in the next to near future we decided to buy some tickets somewhere, anywhere…and we stumbled on some cheap flights to Rome which, according to the extended forecast should be a nice comfy 30 degree (about 90 or so Fahrenheit) which beats the hell outta the balmy 11 with gusty winds we’re forecasted to have in Belfast for the next week or so.

Part of me wants to be the Loud American Tourist and go wondering the streets all google-eyed asking where the Dan Brown tour starts. However, since my wife will be with me, I imagine one severe eye-roll from her will shut me up rightly. Also, being an American is not exactly a badge of honor to wear these days in Europe and I can’t fake a decent Northern Ireland accent so I’m going to spend the next couple of days practicing my Canadian accent and developing a taste for Moosehead Beer.

Beauty, eh?

19 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Yes you broke the primary rule of real estate: do not act like you're interested.

I visited Rome once, and speaking of loud american tourists - I thought it would be funny to shout profanities at the top of my lungs in English...my theory being no one would understand me since they spoke Italian (and of course no one overseas could also speak english, right?). I was a teenager so what did I know? It was still funny though.

1:29 pm  
Blogger Jefferson Davis said...

Glad to see you are getting a vacation. Are you going to be in town between the 1st and 4th of June? That's when I'll be in Belfast. Good luck, I hope you all have a great time. Next year, I'm going to travel all of Europe by train, but I wanted to start out slow (Ireland), and work my way up from there. :-)

No since in killing myself on the first trip.

5:19 pm  
Blogger WOA said...

What's the secondary rule of real estate, Phil? I wanna know!

Jefferson, I'll be back on the 2nd (Friday). I should be able to meet you for a pint Friday or Saturday...

6:42 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

If you must use the restroom, make sure the water is still turned on before you go (a lesson I learned so harshly once).

8:21 pm  
Blogger Jefferson Davis said...

Coool!

I'm gonna try and bring ya some venison jerky, but I don't know if they'll let it on the plane, but I'll try. :-)

Have fun...

8:47 pm  
Blogger The Rev said...

I've never been to Europe, but I've been to Delaware. Delaware is cheaper.

9:12 pm  
Blogger WOA said...

Phil, is that the second rule of real estate or a handy travel tip for Italy?

Jefferson, I see no reason why the jerky wouldn't be allowed (especially if you put it in your checked luggage).

Is there anthing to do in Delaware, Steve? I've never been but I can't recall any conversations where people exlaimed, "Delaware? What? You mean you haven't been?" (Seriously, what is Delaware known for?)

6:36 am  
Blogger Alan in Belfast said...

If Wayne's delayed on his way back from Rome, does that mean that Jefferson get's to co-host LTA for a week?

Jett could have another Aislinn moment!

2:33 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

2nd rule of real estate. Sometimes when a home or bldg. is vacant, they might have turned off the water too.

2:40 pm  
Blogger Jefferson Davis said...

I don't know abut Deleware, but my home town of Greenville, South Carolina is known for Shoeless Joe Jackson and Jessie Jackson. I don't mind being know for Shoeless Joe, but I hate being know for Jessie Jackson. His own family hates him... :-)

In addition, my city is known for its mild climate. It is a sticky 23C right now.

4:57 pm  
Blogger WOA said...

Phil, I have experienced the 'water shut off' syndrome in my carpet cleaning days. Luckily I had a high powered vacuum machine to clean up any and all messes.

Jefferson, you're in for a 'pleasant' surprise when you land in Ireland. The forecast is for shitty with scattered areas of craptacular. Bring a raincoat.

6:02 pm  
Blogger The Rev said...

Delaware = no sales tax for shopping

You can buy a really big TV, and not pay sales tax on it.

That's what Delaware is good for.

6:10 pm  
Anonymous sue said...

Out of all of this, the thing that stands out most in my mind is "boogers under your couch". I'm morbidly fascinated and disturbed at the same time. Has your bed befallen the same fate? Is there gum under your tables too?

My ex-brother in law was a janitor at an elementary school. He spent his summers scraping the bottoms of desks.....

6:21 pm  
Blogger WOA said...

Thanks for your insight, Steve. Oregon has no sales tax as well... but then, you'd have to live in Oregon (and they won't let you pump your own gas).

Sue, why would you focus on the boogers? I can assure you my bed has not 'befallen the same fate'...as far as you know.

6:51 pm  
Anonymous sue said...

In answer to your question Wayne, I guess that about sums up my personality...always focused on the unusual and macabre and looking at the world as if through the eyes of a 12 year old. lol.

9:51 pm  
Blogger Jefferson Davis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:30 pm  
Blogger Jefferson Davis said...

Damn, "I don't mind being (known) for Shoeless Joe, but I hate being (known) for Jessie Jackson". Sorry… I assure you I know how to spell. I guess the trip has my mind wondering, or I'm just a slacker. :-)

Oh, thanks for the raincoat tip.

10:31 pm  
Blogger bryanviixii said...

.......as well as any friends who happen to own one of your former couches.

5:11 am  
Blogger WOA said...

Hmmmmm...I have a friend who bought my last sofa from me...His name was also Bryan...

4:19 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home