Thursday, June 08, 2006

Rome If You Want Too (Part II)




BRING OUT YOUR DEAD

Behold the beauty of digital snapshots taken of postcards! I call them the Digi-Dead.

I found it suprising how we weren't allowed to take photos of the crumbling corpses but the caretakers/patrons/oogie-boogie people that run the place let themselves not only harass you on entry ("Donations...Donations...DONATIONS!!!!") but ultimately demand that you purchase creepy photographs professionally taken and produced before you leave the creepatorium. (By this I mean you should buy the postcards before you leave-- not that some guy rushes ahead of you and takes the pictures and develops them before you're done. That would be creepy.)

I found the experience quite enlightening if not somewhat weird smelling. For the rest of the day I was convinced I could detect the smell of bone dust wherever we went.

"I smell death," I said to my wife.

"No, you don't," she said.

Anyway, enjoy this absurd voyeuristic journey via the magic of crappy postcards photographed with an even crappier camera:
I particularly enjoyed the 'Grim Reaper' plastered to the ceiling in this shot. It kind of gave the whole atmosphere a certain dignity that I felt was lacking. I mean thousands of bones from thousands of monks? Come on! Show me the money!

Ah, death. Ain't it grand?

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

It looks like something you would make at summer camp, out of macaroni shells and paint, except this camp lets you make your crafts out of human bones.

12:46 pm  
Blogger WOA said...

And they're crafts you really want to give to your favorite auntie--unless she was into voodoo or something...

6:46 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home